WeGo Marin is a real-time rideshare program rolling out at the College of Marin and Dominican University, as well as other places in Marin, during spring of 2013. Using web and mobile technology, WeGo Marin provides students, faculty, and staff a convenient and affordable way to share rides through a social network that connects riders and drivers in real-time and in advance.
The pilot aims to:
- Increase the number of shared commute trips to COM and Dominican while reducing the parking demand;
- Reduce greenhouse gas emissions; and
- Build a critical mass of users to continue ridesharing once the pilot wraps up in late 2013.
The Transportation Authority of Marin is implementing the pilot in partnership with their software provider, Avego.
How it works
New users start by signing up online at WeGoMarin and at Avego, and then downloading the app (see Getting Started below). Once fully registered, simply log in to the app when you’re ready to share rides. Here’s a little technical info:
- A mobile phone that can send and receive text messages is required to use the software.
- If you have a smartphone with web access, you can use the app either as a rider or driver.
- Those with basic mobile phones are limited to using the software as riders.
The software tracks shared trips and electronically transfers a micropayment from rider to driver to offset the cost of driving (see “Payments” below). To facilitate rideshare community-building, the software also features a user rating system. Because this is a pilot program, every participant who sets up their Avego account before April 12 2013 will receive $50 in Avego credits in their ridesharing account, so your first rides are free!
For further details on how the software works, please visit http://wegorideshare.com/faq/ .
What’s in it for you?
Besides being able to get to and from school more easily, we also have some special programs going on this spring. From now through April 19, every shared ride is entered into a weekly drawing for up to $100 in prizes, so the more rides you share, the greater your chances of winning! And during that same time period, anyone who shares two or more rides in a week will receive a $5 Starbuck’s gift card.
Additionally, COM and Dominican community members who participate in WeGo Marin are eligible for payments of $2 per shared ride (payable at the end of their Beta programs). (See our Terms and Conditions for more information).
Payments Between Riders and Drivers
The smart phone app is free to download. All new users receive $50 in Avego credit to try the system as riders. Riders are charged $1 for the first mile of the shared trip then 20 cents per mile for the next 15 miles. Thereafter, the cost drops to 8 cents per mile. These micropayments from the rider to driver are transferred electronically, and 15% goes to Avego for operations costs. The driver also has the option of providing the rider a free ride in the app.
- Go to www.wegomarin.com to set up your WeGoMarin account.
- Then click this link from your smart phone to create your Avego account. If this link does not work, please paste this link into the browser on your smart phone: https://b.avego.com/rtr-mobile-web/signup?skin=signup
- Once you’ve signed up, you’ll be given a link to download the Avego RTR app; go ahead and do that.
- Open the app, click on the Menu button (in the upper left corner), and select “Login” from the bottom of the menu.
- Click on your name in the menu to set up your Profile, including a picture and a few words about your commute.
Connecting with the WeGo Marin Team
Comments? Questions? Ridesharing stories? We’d love to hear from you!
- WeGo Marin on Facebook: www.facebook.com/WeGoMarin
- WeGo Marin Team email contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- WeGo Marin Team phone contact: Julie Eldridge, 707-330-9154
- Avego (rideshare software provider) support -
- To report a bug or make a suggestion: https://avego.wufoo.com/forms/your-wego-marin-feedback/
- FAQs on how the software works: http://wegorideshare.com/faq/
- Avego technical support: email@example.com
- Media Contact: Linda Jackson, Transportation Authority of Marin, firstname.lastname@example.org